Thursday, June 25, 2009

Stepping into the wide world(s) of DC comics


So I'm gonna assume the guy behind the desk at my local comic shop was a little shocked when I walked up to the counter this Wednesday. I had amazing spider-man #598 in my hand, which is nothing strange, but I also had Green Lantern: through the ages, and Flash: rebirth #1-3. I've been going to that store for three years or so, and have never once bought a DC book. I've gotta say, I like what I've read so far.
When I decided to give DC a shot this week I had no idea what to try out, I wanted to shy away from any of the Batman or Superman titles and go for something more unfamiliar. Having just read Green Lantern: rebirth i settled upon Flash:rebirth since it seemed like an appropriate enough place to jump on, and I threw the Green Lantern one-shot in there to get my fill of re-prints.
It's odd being so new to a comic universe. Ever since I can remember, I've kept up with spider-man books, and known all about the odds and ends of the Marvel Universe. Reading DC is almost like being a kid again. While I'm not completely clueless about the comics, I do hear about what's going on vaguely and will read a few wikipedia articles now and then, it's amazing how different just sitting down and reading one of these books felt to me, I never thought I would be able to have the perspective of a "new reader" again. So let's see if DC can manage to suck me in as marvel did all those years ago....

by the way, I do intend on review Flash: rebirth, once the mini series is finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment